Do you serve hot and crispy fish fingers or chicken balls at the friends’ get together and get complements from them? Do your family members always request for making a special snack? If your simple snack recipes create magic to your family and friend circle, then you should think to start a business of selling homemade snacks and namkeens. It goes with your expertise very well and you can make a good amount. Homemade foods are prepared maintaining health and hygiene and there is always love and passion attached with them. When you offer homemade snacks to the people it would be sold like hot cakes. If you want to open your own food business and make money without the pressure of opening a restaurant and food chains then start selling snacks and namkeens from a cart or opening a small storefront in your house.
From tea time to fulfilling the small hunger, snacks and namkeens are the best choices and in India, it has the most demand. So there is a huge market for snacks and namkeens in India which you make wish to capture.
Steps on Starting a Snack Food Business
If you want to make money selling snacks and namkeens, then you need to do the same with much seriousness and dedication. No business can succeed without dedication so make sure that you have that in you. This article will help you to know the detailed process.
- Survey: – Before starting any business it is suggested to do a thorough survey of the same. Make a strategy and do the research accordingly. Make all the necessary points that you may want to know about the business like the need capital, infrastructure, equipment, raw materials etc. Find out the demand of snacks and namkeens in your nearby market. Search for places from where you can get a bulk order and also look for retail outlets who can be your regular buyers.
- Capital: – Starting a snacks business from home doesn’t require a huge capital, one time investment of around one to two lakhs will enough to suffice the requirement. Make a proper budget of your business and keep a total track of your expenses. Don’t try to start big from the beginning, capture the market properly and grow steadily and it will give good results.
- Infrastructure: – You can start snack and namkeen manufacturing at your kitchen only; you might need some open space to pack them but not a huge one. You can find many shops with around 100 to 200 Sq ft of an area who are making, packing and selling the snacks at the same time in that small place. Just you need to keep the hygiene factor in mind. Complete all your daily works in the kitchen and then clean the whole area to start the work. All else if you have a separate empty place like a garage or a room you can shift the whole thing there only and dedicate the place for the business.
- Skills: – As this is a food processing business, so you need to have a good knowledge and skill about the manufacturing process. To make money selling snacks and namkeens and that is also in a good amount that the items should be delicious and special than other manufacturers, and then only you can succeed in the business. You can join any cooking classes who are offering courses for snacks preparation or if have some inherited knowledge then can take the help of the greatest Google to learn more or if there is any old lady like mother or grandmother in your family, then you should plan a tour to visit then. Why? The experiences that they have are no less than the information available in the encyclopedia or Wikipedia.
- Legal Formalities: – As the business is related to food, so you need to fulfill some legal formalities from the food department. Just visit your nearest food office and get the information’s about the details required.
- Insurance: – Insuring your business is a great idea to safeguard your assets from any kind of mishap. As the business is related to food, so due to anything, someone may fell ill after eating your snacks , so insurance will help you the safeguard your assets during the legal procedures if any takes places.
- Quality: – The most important aspect of a successful business. How small unit you may have, you will definitely reach the sky if you have the best quality item in the market and this is a thumb rule for any business. Go for a regular quality check from the food department which is very important and the given certificates will be great to increase the brand value.
- Branding: – At the beginning, you may not need a brand, but later on you can pack you snacks and namkeens with your own brand name which will give much goodwill and create a trust about the product.
- Advertising: – Once someone said to me that an interview for a job is also like an advertisement, where I need to promote all my skills in few limited words. So for a business, advertising is one of the steps which will guide you to the success. Promote effectively and now with the digitization of media it is very easy and cost effective to promote.
You can also create your own website and sell the items in the online market, here you can contact the customers directly and get a huge margin of profit. When everything is settled, decide what kind of snacks and namkeens you will prepare and sell. You can make money selling snacks and earn a good margin of profit if you follow the basic business ethics that is honesty.