You might have received a lot of compliments about your homemade pickles and received a lot of requests to make pickles for others. If this is the case, then you must have a great talent of making pickles at home which is a great option for you to start your own pickle making business or share the idea of the same with someone who you know have the talent of the same.
In India, making pickles at home is a regular habit of the ladies as it is one of the best ways to use the spare times, over that excellent quality pickles have a great demand as it is a great appetizer and a great item to eat along with rice or bread (Rotis).
Market Scope of Pickle Making Business
Pickles are usually spicy in nature and a great option side items to have for lunch or dinner along with the main course. You could have eaten many items in the restaurant like parathas and other courses which become more mouth watering with the pickles.
More or less every restaurant buys tons of pickle every year and it is also a common item for sale in the grocery shops for the household use. A small amount of pickle can be enough to eat a full course of a meal, so it is quite cost effective too as a jar of a pickle last for a long time which makes it a great choice to buy.
A good quality pickle has a great demand in the market and thus starting a pickle business is a great idea to earn some extra bucks by utilizing the skill of making pickles at home.
Required Steps for Starting a Pickle Business
Different fruits and vegetables are preserved in vinegar or brine along with different spices and other ingredients. The perfect taste of the pickle depends on the correct mixing of different ingredients at the best proportion and the perfect timing for the processing.
You can start your pickle making business either as a small scale business unit from home which will be completely dependent on manual processing and another option is to use modernized way of starting a pickle making business unit.
Both the procedure has its own benefits and disadvantages but making pickles at home has its own value in the market and it requires the least investment of capital too. So let’s find out the required steps to start the business: –
- Sharpen Your Skills: You might have a big fan club for your homemade pickles but if you want to use the skills for professional purpose, then you will need to have more expertise in the field. You can join culinary courses to learn more about the use of different spices and ingredients and use the same in your business by creating new and unique flavors of pickles.
- Make a Business Plan: A business plan is a mandatory step for starting any kind of business as it will consist of all the business details like how to run the show in a profitable way along with the planning of steps to grow the business. A good business plan is also helpful getting financial assistance from banks and other institutes as it will contain the detailed procedure of getting the return of the invested capital.
- Market Research: There may be many other small scale business units who are already in the business of making pickles at home. So to capture the market you need to know the details of the existing market competitors like how they are running the business, what kind of product they are manufacturing, their strong points along with weakness and their market.
After the research, you need to work accordingly to perform better than your competitors and capture the market accordingly.
- Legal Formalities: Since pickle making is a food business, there are few set standards by the government about the quality of the products and the manufacturing process. Contact your local administrative office and get the information of the required legal process in details.
- Brand Name: Give a proper brand name to your product which should be short and catchy too so that it is easy to remember for regular usage.
- Hire Staffs: It will not be possible for you to manage the complete business on your own as you need to produce in larger quantity to supply sufficient amount of product in the market. Hire few staffs in the beginning that are trustworthy and have skills in pickle making.
- Brand Promotion: As you will be launching a new brand of pickle in the market, so in the initial stage you need to use extensive marketing strategies to promote your brand. Later on when you have earned the goodwill, the word will spread by mouth and your brand will get the promotion by itself, still, it is better to keep promoting to increase the business.
Tips to Run a Successful Pickle Making Business
The business idea of making pickles at home may be a small scale business plan, but if it can be continued properly you can easily make big from the same. There are two basic things which are most important for any successful business:- Quality and Price.
If you have the finest product in the market which is available at the best rates, the success may come late but it is definite to come. Never let your quality of product dip and keep promoting the business and have endurance, you are bound to succeed.