Have you ever thought playing with dogs at day time could be a lucrative business for you? Starting a dog day care is worthwhile career option if you have unconditional love for pets and enjoy the time being with them. It is such a profitable venture that makes you feel satisfied. In fact that among all the pet sitting business, the doggie day care business is the most popular all around the world. The popularity goes on increasing as with the growing numbers of dog owners who need to leave home for work but keep faith on dog day care services to look after their all times companions.
Well, a good number of people love dogs and want to keep them as pet. They are treated as the family members and often get equal care and importance as with the children. But the problem arises when the owner goes out of home for office or other work and there is nobody to take care of his furry friend. Here lies the importance of dog day care. In fact, working dog owners often like to avail the dog day care services simply because their dogs would be in safe custody and tackled with care and affection.
Think to dive into the dog day care business?
If you have a dog, you too can provide the service and make unlimited income through the dog day care business investing almost nothing as capital! But before giving it a start, you should understand that it is also a small business like others and you need to do a thorough research and then prepare a business plan accordingly in order to succeed.
To get started in doggie day care business, you need to follow some steps which will lead you towards better profit and recognition.
- Gain experience:As you are going to take care of the dogs, you should have knowledge in the field of common dog behavior, health issues, pet first-aid and CPR. Before opening up your own dog daycare, it is better to work as an animal volunteer in your local vet clinic. It will help you to gain experience in dog care.
- Learn the basics of dog training: You should be acquainted with a few basic obedience commands so that you can control your dog’s behavior and avoid any unpleasant situations in your center. It is necessary to train the dogs on your custody to respond to the basic commands such as sit, come, down, stay, heel etc. Otherwise it would be hectic to manage them daily.
- Finalize the business place:Now it’s time to settle the location where you will start your dog day care business. You can choose your home as the business place but make sure you have spacious rooms and open area for the various activities of the dogs. If your home is big, then you need to worry about running the business. If you own a small house, you still can provide the service but in restricted way. In this case, if your pocket permits, you can purchase or lease a business place of your choice.
- Check your local ordinancesBefore starting a dog day care, you should go through your local and state government regulations regarding the doggie day care business. In fact, there might have been some restrictions on using domestic place for commercial purpose. The other important point is to get permission for the business from your homeowners association. Sometimes, they are very strict on running such a pet related business.
- Get a business licenseYou’ll need to apply for a business license through your local government. You can get it only when your dog day care facility successfully meets all the requirements of an on-site health inspection.
- Purchase insuranceYou should talk to an insurance agent to fulfill your dog day care insurance requirements. The first step is to purchase business liability insurance which helps you to prevent legal repercussions and finally give coverage in case of injury or death of any dog in your facility. Additionally, you may obtain property insurance to cover damages to your business place.
- Buy dog suppliesIt is somewhat essential to organize your day care facility with all the necessary items of dogs so that they could feel comfortable in your place. You’ll need to buy some dog supplies like kennels, toys, food bowls, pet food, leashes etc.
- Hire a TrainerIf you are planning to open a small day care facility, then you can manage of your own otherwise you may hire someone to handle the dogs in your custody. Make sure to appoint trainer who have prior experience in dog care or completed a certification course in animal career.
- Set your time and price reasonablyYou should set your hours for your dog day care and maintain a schedule accordingly. Generally, for drop-in care, doggie day care centers will remain open for 12 hours, from 7 am to 7 pm, Monday-Friday. There are some overnight or weekend care facilities also.
Finally comes the most important point, determining the pricing structure for your services. At first, you should calculate the start-up and maintenance costs and then fix your charge logically. These days, the average rate for dog day care is between $15 and $35 per dog, per day and the rate depends on the breed of the dogs.
- Advertise your businessTo give your doggie day care business a great start, it is necessary to advertise your business in different mediums. You should manage a website or another social media to make a great publicity for your Doggie Daycare Business. You can take help of fliers and business cards to show off your business. You can also speak to your local pet stores, veterinary clinics and dog groomers to put your fliers and cards on view in their centers.
- Prepare a contract for ownersTo avoid any kind of harassment, it is better to prepare a contract for the dog owners, in which the client will include his name, address, emergency contact number, the hours and days, where about of the dog, and lastly your charge.
- Qualify your clientsYou have to be very careful about the spreading of infectious diseases in your dog day care. It would be better to accept those dogs that have completed vaccinations till date. If you suspect any dog in your care has a health problem, don’t give permission to enter into the facility. This will help you to maintain a healthy atmosphere in your dog day care. Finally, all you need is to provide the better service and obtain the trust of the customers.